Friday, September 27, 2013

Make It: Repurposed Dresser

home, diy, dresser, repurposed, apartment makeover, decor, style, blog, a hammer & heels, project, home depot, spray paint, plywood veneer



BEFORE


I got this dresser at an auction for super cheap years ago. It was an awful orange-colored wood and I didn't like the idea of stripping it completely and re-staining it. So I slapped on a primer that was meant to cover varnished wood and painted it white with moss green drawers. I left it that way for years, but this time I wanted something a little different. I liked the idea of a wood dresser, but there was no way I was going to strip this thing. The next best thing? Plywood veneer! Home Depot had a great selection of finishes to choose from and they even cut it to size for me. I got a huge sheet that I didn't even use half of for only $10!

The supplies:
Plywood veneer 1/4 inch thick - Home Depot, $10
White spray paint - Home Depot, $4
Wood glue - Home Depot, $3
Clamps
Total Cost
$17

Step 1.
Before hitting Home Depot, measure the size of whatever you'll be covering.

Step 2.
After I got my sheet cut to size for each drawer, I removed the hardware. I spray painted the edges of each drawer that would show.



Step 3.
Cover your surface in newspaper or cardboard and start gluing. I applied the glue to the back of the veneer liberally. Carefully place the veneer with glue onto the front of the drawer. It will slide around some, but make sure to line it up straight with the edge. You'll want to use clamps or books to hold down the veneer while it's drying. I did this for each drawer. Let the glue completely dry.


I stacked books where the veneer wasn't flat against the drawer to keep it in place.

That's it! Waiting for the glue to dry was the longest part. I originally planned on adding the hardware, but once I had each drawer in place I actually liked the look without it better. It also meant less chance for mess up lining up and drilling holes.

I know plywood veneer sounds a bit cheap looking, but honestly the overall look is great! I'm actually surprised how well it turned out.

What do you think?!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...