Monday, March 10, 2014

First House: Living Room Inspiration

My boyfriend bought a house last week. I had mixed feelings about the idea because buying a house is a huge purchase and a lot of work. I'm sure all you homeowners can attest to the stressful process and that's before you even move in. He's living in a different city while I finish up school so I wasn't involved in the buying process much. I expressed my needs/wants and looked at house listings online but that's about it. I toured one house and that pretty much ended all hope for a "spacious, open concept home with lots of light." In fact, I was a little turned off by the whole idea after seeing a sea-foam toilet and tub. I'm confident in my skills to tackle a so-so place into something wonderful, but even the home I toured seemed like an impossible project. Then my bf came across another home. Props to him for not giving up despite my less than impressed reactions. I looked at pictures online and after what he told me, I gave the green light without ever seeing the home in person. Insane of me, I know. He ended up buying the house and I finally had the chance to go look at it this past weekend!

Let me tell you, it's nerve-racking walking into a place knowing its your home for the next year (at least) and seeing it for the first time. I was hoping it was just as he described. Thankfully, he was spot on and I wasn't disappointed. It's not huge, updated, or spectacular, but it is do-able. And I'm bursting with design ideas already just waiting to get my hands on it. It's pretty exciting knowing I have an entire house to decorate! Without (a lot) of pink that is. Which is almost a challenge in itself.

My brain hasn't stopped turning with inspiration ideas since Saturday morning, so I want to share my ideas with you because, honestly, I just can't wait any longer! We won't be moving into the new house until the beginning of May, but I want to have a clear direction come May so we can get to work right away. 

Here's what the living room looks like right now. Check out that flow of natural light! You can just barely see the entryway door to the left in the first photo and the wall parallel to the windows has two doorways. We will be replacing the carpet and painting all the walls and woodwork white. Painting woodwork is always a controversy, but it's not a pretty color and I like things bright and white. I'm kind of funny when it comes to light. The first thing I do when I wake up is open up the blinds and turn on the lights. It just feels more cheerful and happy when it's not dim and dark. I have never been a basement person either. The living room isn't a big space, but I have several tricks up my sleeve to help make the space seem bigger and more open.



When I was brainstorming ideas I knew I wanted the living room to feel open, bright, and comfortable. Anytime you are decorating a space it's important to first decide how you want the room to feel. You then use those ideas when choosing colors, furniture, styles, etc. I'm thinking of doing blues and greens for color, but let's be real, no color is off limits. 

Here's a mood board for the living room. What do you think? What does your living room feel like? Stay tuned for more house updates! 

A Hammer & Heels -First House Project: Living Room Inspiration
1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6


6 comments:

  1. I am 100% with you on your need for your space to be filled with natural light! I'm also someone who opens up blinds right when they wake up, I hate feeling like I'm in a cave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! Nothing is worse than an uninspiring dark room!

      Delete
  2. Ah, this is so exciting! I'm anxious to see what you do with it. I've found that all of the houses we've seen so far are lacking natural light which means - on to the next one. Have a good week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, there is no reno that can build in natural light :) Best of luck with the hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those colors are wonderful! I think you could really make this work and it'll look fantastic!!

    http://whenthecowscomedancinghome.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kaylee! I'll be posting updates during the whole decorating process so you can follow along :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...