Friday, May 23, 2014

When Life Gives You Lemons

The current state of my new home. At least I have an amazing hairpin leg side table! 

A change in office scenery with zero styling. 

Not crazy about the woodwork. Still debating about whether to paint it or not. The rest of the house is too scary to even photograph. So much work to do!

I'm not sure how to start today's blog post. I could start by apologizing for my sudden absence on the blog the past couple weeks due to my busy schedule, but who isn't? Or I could talk about graduation and how much I'm enjoying the "real world", but in reality, I'm still looking for a full-time job. Or the fact that I didn't have Internet for a week kind of put a damper on the whole blogging and working thing. And to top it all off, I got my wisdom teeth pulled. To be honest, these last few weeks have been anything but extraordinary. Nobody likes a Debbie downer so I won't bore you with all the details, but a string of unfortunate events has taken its toll.

The more I thought about blogging and what I should write about, the more stressed I got because I didn't have anything new to say. Blogging is a funny thing. We see all of these bloggers living extravagant lives with designer clothing and gorgeous skin and assume everything must be perfect. I'm sure things are going well, but they have bad days too just like the rest of us. I was so hung up on everything else that has been going on that I lost inspiration and had nothing left to say.

A few days ago I came across a quote that really resonated with me. I didn't save it and now I can't find it back, but it went something like this: inspiration doesn't come to those wait, but to those who look. I didn't say it nearly as nicely as the original source, but basically you have search for inspiration, you can't expect it to come to you. All along I was tangled up in my own problems and found myself out of my element and the inspiration stopped flowing. I wasn't browsing Instagram, chatting on Twitter, or even attempting to blog. I completely shut off. How can I expect an awesome blog post idea to pop in my head without even trying to blog? Just as you can't expect to perfect your free throw shot just by thinking about it, you have to practice.

I'm happy to say I am out of my funk and ready to tackle my giant to-do list. No Internet for a week set back my blog redesign, but I am excited for the reveal coming soon!

I'm officially moved out of my studio apartment and into my new home with my boyfriend. He bought a house (which explains why I didn't have Internet) and now I have the joys of decorating a new place! Here you will find the living roomkitchen, and bedroom inspiration I blogged about earlier. Every room is painted except the bathroom, so now it's time to tackle the fun part.

My sister offered me a position to help with an app she and her husband are working on called Powder Room. It's an app that keeps beauty products simple and fun. You can easily search or scan products, organize them into lists or looks, and share them with your friends and followers. Since I didn't have a full-time offer I decided to take the opportunity to move to San Francisco for a few months and work on an exciting app! The Bay Area is my favorite place to visit so I am excited to explore the city for a few months. I fly out on Wednesday so I'm running around trying to select furniture for my boyfriend's house so it feels somewhat like a home before I leave. The blog will cover my new adventures in California along with regular DIY and home posts. I will share my house updates and decor selection when I come back to Iowa in a few months. I'm so excited for this opportunity and can't wait to spend the summer in my favorite state!

Have a wonderful and safe Memorial Day weekend!

6 comments:

  1. That sounds like such an exciting opportunity! I can't wait to follow along with you on this adventure...and for the home updates :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be an adventure for sure! I'm picking up a few items for the home today so be sure to follow along on Instagram for updates ;)

      Delete
  2. Wow, good luck in San Fran! Looking forward to following along -- never been, but always wanted to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an amazing place! So excited to explore the city!

      Delete
  3. I can totally relate Amanda! Though I landed a job right after college- it was a double edged sword- no time to enjoy being a graduate & changes with a relationship. Just gotta make lemons out of lemonade- and ENJOY your experience working on the app in San Fran. :) I'm truly thrilled for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe everything happens for a reason, so I'm just making the most of the situation! I'm excited to see where it leads :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...